What are the symptoms of IPF?
The most common symptoms are:
- Shortness of breath – in early IPF, this may occur with more strenuous exercise such as walking uphill or stairs. However as the disease progresses, you may notice breathlessness with other activities such as washing and dressing, talking and eating.
- Cough – this is usually a dry, tickly cough. Some people with IPF may have a cough productive of phlegm.
- Unintentional weight loss
What are the signs of IPF?
- Clubbing – this is widening and rounding of the finger and stroke all toenails. This occurs in up to 60% of people with IPF.
- “Velcro-like” crackles – these are usually heard in the lower part of the lungs on examining the chest